Tax Information for International Students

All international students in the U.S. have an obligation to file federal forms each tax year.

While it is not a U.S. federal immigration law that you must file income taxes, it is a U.S. federal tax law. Immigration law requires you to follow all U.S. laws. Failure to follow U.S. tax laws could result in problems with immigration.

Note: The LBCC International Programs Office can provide basic tax information as follows but cannot give tax advice. It is your responsibility to understand and meet your tax filing obligations. There are several options for you to be able to do this.

What tax forms do you need to file?

If you DID NOT earn income, you must file:

  • A Federal Form 8843 for yourself and each dependent living in the U.S. for any length of time during the tax year. Each Form 8843 must be mailed separately.
  • Complete and mail each form to:
    • Department of the Treasury
      Internal Revenue Service Center
      Austin, TX 73301-0215

If you EARNED income, you must file:

Documents you may need

  • Travel history from your I-94 (you may get this from the I-94 webpage or determine exactly how many days you were in the U.S. for all of your years at LBCC plus any previous schools
  • Social Security Card, if you have one
  • Form W-2 from LBCC or your off campus employer, if you are on CPT or OPT
  • Any other tax documents you received in the mail like Form 1042-S
  • Earned interest (Form 1099-INT) for any bank accounts
  • Health coverage (Form 1095-B) mailed to students who have health insurance coverage
  • Your bank routing number and account number if you want your refund deposited directly into your bank account.

Most international students on an F-1 visa are considered non-residents for tax purposes but it is important to determine for yourself. Click here for more information.

Options for filing your taxes


Sprintax is a company that specializes in helping international students file taxes.

Contact the International Office for a LBCC student discount code for $5 off your filing fee. 

Sprintax will guide you through the tax preparation process, help with the necessary documents and check if you’re due a tax refund.

Sprintax resources:

Complete taxes yourself

IMPORTANT: Do NOT Use TurboTax – the software is not for international students

InternationalStudent is a great resource that walks you through the steps needed to do your own taxes, with a list of frequently asked questions. There is also a guide to help with the Form 8843.

VITA program near you

IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program - offers free basic tax return preparation to qualified individuals, great resource for questions. Find a location near you

Additional resources and information

Internal Revenue Service – Federal tax information and forms for international students. You may also call directly at 800-829-1040 but do expect a long wait. 

Oregon Department of Revenue – State tax information and forms for international students

Tax Information for International Students – additional information and list of frequently asked questions.



Email the International Office with questions.

Note: International Programs staff are not trained tax professionals and, therefore, are not authorized to give any direct tax advice by Oregon law.