International Programs

Maintaining F-1 Status

You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status. If you don't understand or have questions about immigration regulations, visit the International Programs Office for support. Here is some key information about maintaining your status.

I-20 and Personal Information

  • Complete your degree by the program end date on your I-20 or request a program extension.
  • Obtain a new I-20 when you change your major.
  • Obtain proper work authorization on I-20 if working off-campus.
  • Update address and phone number in WebRunner within 10 days of change, so that the I-20 can be updated with accurate information.
  • Keep a valid passport at all times.


  • You must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more per term) in fall, winter, and spring.
  • Students do not need to be enrolled in any classes during Summer, but they can choose to take a few credits or even study full time.
  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 on-campus credits in addition to any online coursework.

Concurrent Enrollment

  • You may be enrolled in up to six credits at another institution.
  • You must provide proof of registration and final grades for the courses.

Please submit the Concurrent Enrollment Form to International Programs prior to the start of the term.

Reduced Course Loads

You may be approved for a reduced course load for three reasons:

  1. Academic Difficulties due to Language Barriers: We approve this only during the first term at LBCC.
  2. Medical Reasons: Requires a letter from a physician.
  3. Final Term: If you have less than 12 credits remaining to graduate, you may drop below 12 credits.

To request a reduced course load, you must complete the Reduced Course Load Form which indicates the reason for your request.

Program Extension

  • You may apply for a program extension to extend your I-20.
  • You must meet with your academic advisor and complete the Program Extension Form.
  • Once the form is completed and approved, please see your International Student Advisor to receive your new I-20.

After the completion of your program, you are required to depart the U.S. within the 60-day grace period following your program. During that time, you may transfer to another college or begin OPT.

Students must submit the program extension form, signed by their advisor, before the program end date on their I-20.