Accounts and Payments
Form 1098-T - Tuition Statement
The Tax Relief Act (TRA) of 1997 requires eligible educational institutions to provide a statement to the IRS and to students who enrolled in credit courses and have a reportable transaction during each calendar year. LBCC provides this information electronically to the IRS and to students on a 1098-T form.
1098-T forms are available by January 31st and are only provided electronically, through WebRunner. The form can be accessed in WebRunner under Student, Student Accounts and View Tax Information.
The 1098-T provides the amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses, amounts students received for scholarships and grants, and prior year adjustments. The IRS defines qualified tuition and related expenses as tuition and fees a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.
Examples of qualified expenses:
- Registration fee
- Course/program fee
- Student governance fee
- Mandatory student fees
- Lab fees
- Online course fees
Examples of unqualified expenses:
- Bookstore purchases
- Late fees
- Health Insurance
LBCC does not furnish 1098-T forms if:
- Scholarships and grants equal or exceed qualified charges billed
- Student is a nonresident alien (unless requested by student)
- Student only registered for non-credit courses
- Student's qualified charges billed are waived or paid through third party billing arrangements
Below is an example of the 2020 Form 1098-T, for your reference. More information about Form 1098-T.
- Box 1-Amount paid during the year for qualified tuition and related expenses.
- Box 2-Not used for reporting purposes.
- Box 4-Prior year adjustments to qualified tuition and related expenses.
- Box 5-Grant and scholarship received by the student for terms within the
- Box 6-Adjustments for prior year grant and scholarship.
- Box 7-Amounts for a term starting after the end of the current tax year are included in box 1.
- Box 8-Indicates the student was enrolled at least half time in a degree or certificate program during the tax year.
- Box 9-Checked for all graduate level students.
- Box 10-Not used for reporting purposes.
Tax Advice: LBCC cannot determine if you qualify for an education tax credit and is not allowed
to give you tax advice. Please read the instructions on your 1098-T form or contact
a tax professional to assist you.
For additional information contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. For general questions you may contact the LBCC Business Office at (541) 917-4322.