Registration & Schedule


DegreeWorks is the advising and degree audit tool used by LBCC students and advisors.  FAQ's are below.


About DegreeWorks

What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. DegreeWorks allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework.

What is an audit?

A DegreeWorks audit is a review of past, current and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major.

Can I access DegreeWorks on any computer?

Yes. Access to DegreeWorks is through the Web. Use your LBCC sign on and then click on the Degree Works tile.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Like other processes, DegreeWorks is accessible through your secure log in. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

Who has the ability to access DegreeWorks?

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all degree-seeking students. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

How current will my information be in DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is linked to live data in our system, so any changes made in the system will be reflected immediately. This includes grade changes and adding or dropping courses.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history. Registration will continue to be handled in WebRunner.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. DegreeWorks is laid out in a format that displays degree requirement information. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

 Yes. See the Look Ahead or Plans sections in DegreeWorks for information.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades have become official at the end of the term, they are viewable in DegreeWorks. Final grades are not available in DegreeWorks until after the final grading period for the College has ended. Courses in-progress are listed with an "IP" grade.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit. Any exception to degree requirements should be discussed with your advisor or academic department personnel.

Why isn't my information up-to-date?

There could be several reasons. One is that DegreeWorks may not have refreshed since a change was made. Second, there could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that the College has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending departmental review. Check with the Registration Office if your transcript or audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

How can I update information?

You cannot update course information in DegreeWorks. To change your major, please fill out the major change form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.  You can also see your Advisor to change your major.

If I have additional questions or issues with DegreeWorks, whom do I contact?

If you are having trouble logging into DegreeWorks please call (541) 917-4434. If you are seeing issues regarding your degree audit please contact the Registrar's Office at (541) 917-4811.



Using the Audit

Using the Audit

Your audit will display the courses you've taken or are registered for and will show you any degree requirements that are being met by the courses you've taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Will I be able to view my entire course history?

DegreeWorks uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed/registered for/transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed.  Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

If I think my audit is incorrect, whom do I contact?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Registrar's for assistance.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

The worksheet feature displays the classes you need to take for your degree. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor. 

Why isn't there a check mark next to a requirement I've already completed?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.

I changed my advisor, so why is my previous advisor showing instead of my new one?

Check with the Advising Center at (541) 917-4780.

My record shows my old major but I have declared a new major. Why doesn't my new major show?

If your Change of Major request was submitted during a meeting with an advisor, you should expect to see your new major reflected in 48 working hours.  You will also receive an email confirming the change.  Major changes submitted during meetings with advisors are processed continually throughout the term.  

For students wanting to submit a Change of Major request themselves (not involving an appointment with an advisor), the Change of Major form is only open through week two of the upcoming/current term.  This form will then be closed from weeks three through ten.  If you submitted a Change of Major form directly yourself during the first two weeks of term, you should expect to see your new major reflected in 48 working hours.  You will also receive an email confirming the change.  

Where can I see my second degree?

DegreeWorks is designed to show a listing of your degrees in the Student View audit. Additionally, each degree is broken out into individual requirement blocks within the audit. Students pursuing simultaneous degrees will need to click on the Degree drop-down box at the top of the Student View audit in order to view the additional requirements.

Where can I see my audit for my second degree?

You can access your second degree audit by using the Degree drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Why isn't my transfer work meeting a requirement?

There could be two reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient Due to Grades and/or Repeats block on your audit.

My advisor told me that a course I took would be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn't this information appear in my audit?

You should contact your advisor to resolve any substitution issue. Any waivers, substitutions, or exceptions for degree requirements must be communicated to the appropriate department chair and processed by the Registrar's Office.

If all the boxes are checked, does that mean I'm graduating?

Not necessarily. If you have applied to graduate, the Graduation Department in the Registrar's Office will perform a preliminary audit of your coursework after you have submitted the approved graduation application and a final audit after all final grades have been submitted to determine if you are eligible to graduate. Missing requirements will be communicated to you by  the Registrar's Office.



Using What-If

What is the 'What-If' feature?

The What-If function allows you to hypothetically change your major. The What-If audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

If I use the What-If feature, does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. The What-If function is for information purposes only. You will see the header What-If Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a What- If scenario.

I'm thinking of changing my major. Will I be able to see how my current classes fit into my What-If major?

Yes. The What-If function will perform an audit based on the hypothetical major and will show how your completed, current, and planned coursework meets the requirements of the hypothetical major.

Can my advisor see my What-If scenario?

Since What-If scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What-If procedure together.

Can I view multiple What-If scenarios on the same screen?

Yes. DegreeWorks will allow you to select more than one degree at a time, or to select multiple degrees.

Can I save a What-If scenario?

No. What-If plans are not saved on DegreeWorks. You would need to run a new What-If scenario next time you log in to see it again.

If I like what I see in a What-If scenario, how do I initiate the change?

Always speak with your advisor first. After consulting with your advisor, you may change your academic program using the Change of Major form and submit it to the Registrar's Office.




What does the Term Calculator show?

The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in hypothetical grade information. By putting in your current earned units and GPA and placing your in-progress courses in the table (this all will default in for you) along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course; you will see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

Is this calculator GPA guaranteed?

No. This is an estimate only.

Why can't I select a grade for credit (CR)?

"CR" grades do not count in your GPA. Remove courses for which you expect to receive a "CR" from your course list before calculating GPA.