The Linn-Benton Community College music program is home to several choral music ensembles, representing a variety of students from almost every major at LBCC.
Each student brings their own background and talent to their ensemble, participating in one of the most comprehensive choral music programs in any Oregon community college. These ensembles travel across the region and world, winning gold and first-place awards in many competitions.
Members of this auditioned, award-winning vocal chamber ensemble perform works from across the choral repertoire. This ensemble has represented LBCC in several festivals — locally, domestically, and internationally — with many invitations to perform around the state, including the Oregon State Senate, the Oregon School Boards Association Conference, and the Oregon Music Educators Convention. Its achievements include the following honors.
- In 2010, the ensemble received 2nd Place in the American Prize for Choral Performance, being the only community college ensemble to receive a national ranking.
- In 2014, the LBCC Chamber Choir was recognized as an "Honored Artist" of the American Prize, a title reserved for “individuals or organizations who have proven themselves to be of ‘sustained excellence’ over a number of seasons as contestants in the competitions.”
- Additionally, the LBCC Chamber Choir was one of the top-scoring choirs of the American International Choral Festival competing in the Grand Prix.
- In 2012, the ensemble performed as part of the 2012 Summer Olympic festivities in London.
- In 2014, it received 2nd Place (Gold Level 3) in Sacred A cappella Music and was named Category Winners/World Champions in the Mixed Choir Category at the 8th World Choir Games in Riga, Latvia.
- In 2017, the ensemble received Gold in the Mixed Chamber Choir and Sacred Music categories of the 10th Johannes Brahms International Choral Competition in Wernigerode, Germany.
- The Chamber was also a category winner in the Mixed Chamber Choir division.
LBCC’s Concert Choir is a large, un-auditioned mixed voice ensemble of approximately 60-90 singers, performing works from across the choral repertoire. This ensemble has represented LBCC in several festivals throughout the Northwest and been recognized as one of the region’s top choral ensembles.
Comprised of students from almost every major offered at LBCC, the choir performs both smaller and larger works. In 2013 and 2014, the ensemble was selected as a semi-finalist in the American Prize in Choral Performance. In 2014, it received 4th Place in the Musica Contemporanea Category at the 8th World Choir Games and qualified for the Champions Competition.
Are you interested in auditioning for the a capella group or Chamber Choir (Concert Choir requires no audition)? Let us know!