The Linn-Benton Community College music program is home to several choral music ensembles, representing a variety of students from almost every major at LBCC.
Each student brings their own background and talent to their ensemble, participating in one of the most comprehensive choral music programs in any Oregon community college. These ensembles travel across the region and world, winning gold and first-place awards in many competitions.
The Linn-Benton Community College Chamber Choir is an auditioned vocal ensemble that performs literature from a wide array of composers, especially those traditionally underrecognized in the choral canon.
This ensemble has represented LBCC in several festivals and competitions both domestically and internationally. In 2022 they performed as an invited choir at the Northwest ACDA conference in Spokane. In 2021, the ensemble received Gold in the Vocal Ensemble category of the WYCCAA Virtual Festival based in Hong Kong. In 2017, the Chamber Choir received Gold Awards and was a category winner in the 10th Johannes Brahms Choral Festival in Wernigerode, Germany. Its achievements include the following honors.
- In 2010, the ensemble received 2nd Place in the American Prize for Choral Performance, being the only community college ensemble to receive a national ranking.
- In 2014, the LBCC Chamber Choir was recognized as an "Honored Artist" of the American Prize, a title reserved for “individuals or organizations who have proven themselves to be of ‘sustained excellence’ over a number of seasons as contestants in the competitions.”
- Additionally, the LBCC Chamber Choir was one of the top-scoring choirs of the American International Choral Festival competing in the Grand Prix.
- In 2012, the ensemble performed as part of the 2012 Summer Olympic festivities in London.
- In 2014, it received 2nd Place (Gold Level 3) in Sacred A cappella Music and was named Category Winners/World Champions in the Mixed Choir Category at the 8th World Choir Games in Riga, Latvia.
- In 2017, the ensemble received Gold in the Mixed Chamber Choir and Sacred Music categories of the 10th Johannes Brahms International Choral Competition in Wernigerode, Germany.
- The Chamber was also a category winner in the Mixed Chamber Choir division.
- In 2021, the ensemble received a Gold Diploma from the WYCCA Virtual Festival based in Hong Kong.
- In 2022, the ensemble received an invitation to perform as an auditioned and invited choir for the Northwest American Choral Director's Association Regional Conference in Spokane, WA.
- In 2023, they performed a concert tour of the UK, Wales, and Ireland. Performing in such places as Llandaf Cathedral in Wales and Christchurch Cathedral in Dublin.
- In 2024, the ensemble once again performed at the Northwest American Choral Director's
Association, this time as a part of large mass choir performing Bernstein's Chichester Psalms. They also performed a solo work apart from the festival.
LBCC’s Concert Choir is a large, un-auditioned mixed voice ensemble of approximately 60 to 90 singers, performing works from across the choral repertoire. This ensemble has represented LBCC in several festivals throughout the Northwest and been recognized as one of the region’s top choral ensembles.
Comprised of students from almost every major offered at LBCC, the choir performs
both smaller and larger works. In 2013 and 2014, the ensemble was selected as a semi-finalist
in the American Prize in Choral Performance. In 2014, it received 4th Place in the
Musica Contemporanea Category at the 8th World Choir Games and qualified for the Champions
Musical Theater/Opera Workshop
This small ensemble is listed under MP 111: Musical/Opera. Learn how to perform and
produce musical theater and opera productions.
A Cappella Group
The Linn-Benton Community College Music Program is home to a mixed contemporary vocal a cappella ensemble, Formal Houseparty. They are an auditioned ensemble of approximately twelve members performing throughout the Willamette Valley.
The ensemble rehearses on their own as well as with the music faculty. The program has been among the few community college ensembles selected to compete in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella Quarterfinals. It is also the only one to have received awards and placed in competition.
In addition to competing locally and nationally, the ensemble often performs in the local community.
What Is Contemporary Vocal A Cappella?
A cappella was the first music, and has always been an important part of popular culture, from Madrigals to Barbershop to Doo Wop. Now we call it "contemporary a cappella," a term that covers pretty much every style of music around the globe, including rock, pop, R&B, hip-hop, country, jazz, and more.
There are tens of thousands of contemporary a cappella groups around the world, ranging from high school and college ensembles to professionals and recreational groups. There are also countless fans of contemporary a cappella, some who sing and others who are simply familiar with the style, having seen it on TV (The Sing-Off, Pitch Perfect, Glee), heard it on the radio, or watched it at a local festival.
At LBCC, our a cappella group makes music, arranges songs (including our own, as well as other songs popular today), sings, competes, beat-boxes, and more.
Are you interested in auditioning for Chamber Choir or Formal Houseparty (Concert Choir requires no audition)? Let us know!