Incoming International Students
Travel and Arrival
Plan Ahead: What To Do Before You Arrive
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months ahead.
- Arrange for your housing.
- Make sure you will arrive in the U.S. at least one day before the orientation date listed on your acceptance letter.
- Arrange travel from the airport (see below).
- Organize your finances. Check if the credit card you use at home will work in the U.S., and look into opening a bank account here.
- Read about what U.S. Customs & Border Protection will allow you to bring with you to the United States.
What to Bring
Here are the top items experienced international students recommend you bring:
- Laptop computer
- Rain jacket or coat
- Camera (your phone might have a great camera!)
- Electronic translator to use for your classes
- Cultural items that represent your home country and life back home
Traveling From the Airport
You will want to book a flight to either Portland (PDX) or Eugene (EUG). Once you arrive, you can take an airport shuttle or bus to Corvallis, or take the train to Albany.
- Hut Shuttle
- Omni Shuttle
- Bolt Bus
- MAX Light Rail (within Portland area)
- Greyhound Bus
- Amtrak Train (Albany train station)
Questions about travel? Contact the International Programs Team.