Accessibility Resources

Service and Emotional Support Animals

Under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act regulation and 28 C.F.R. 35.104, “Service Animal” is defined as a dog “individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability.” Dogs or miniature horses are the only animals recognized by the law as service animals.

Such work or tasks performed include providing alerts to take medication, doing rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, and/or fetching dropped items.

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask the dog to demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

Staff may ask two questions

  1. Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
Students with trained service animals or animals-in-training do not need an accommodation, approval, certification, or a special license to have them on campus.  Students are encouraged to register service animals with Campus Safety, but are not required to do so.  Please see our Service Animal Guidelines
Students wishing to bring emotional support, comfort, companion or therapy animals to campus must apply for accommodations through Accessibility Resources and submit an Emotional Support Animal Eligibility Form.
More information about Service and Emotional Support Animals can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are emotional support, comfort, companion or therapy animals considered service animals?

No, animals whose sole purpose is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being, and who have not been individually trained to perform a task or function, do not meet the definitions of service animals.

Students wishing to bring these animals on campus must apply for accommodations and submit our Emotional Support Animal Eligibility Form

More information about Emotional Support Animals can be found on our Emotional Support Animal Guidelines.

Students can contact Accessibility Resources for more information by going to RCH-105, emailing, or calling 541-917-4789.

Do service animals need to wear a jacket/vest?

No, service animals do not have to wear a jacket/ vest to identify them as service animals nor does the person/ handler have to provide documentation verifying that the dog is a service animal.

What kind of animal can be a service animal?

Dogs or miniature horses are the only animals recognized by law as service animals. The ADA states that other animals, whether wild or domestic, do not qualify as service animals. The rule permits the use of trained miniature horses as alternatives to dogs, subject to certain limitations. Service animals are not limited to seeing or hearing assistance dogs, but must be trained to provide work or tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, such as providing alerts to take medications, doing rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items.

Is there a certificate or special license that the service animal must have?

No, service animals need no special license or certificate.

Are service animals in training allowed?

Yes, as per Oregon State law, service animals in training are allowed in all buildings accessed by the public. Individuals may train their own service animals, as well as service animals for others, but such animals must be housebroken.

Can service animals or service animals in training be left unattended?

No, service animals on campus may not be left unattended, even in cars, without the permission of the Public Safety Manager.

What are the control requirements for service animals?

The animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times while on campus; unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the disability prevents using these devices. The handler must be in control of the animal at all times. The animal must be as unobtrusive as possible.

There are certain instances when it may be considered unsafe for animals in such places as medical facilities, laboratories, mechanical rooms or any other place where the safety of the animal or partner/handler may be threatened. If this situation arises, faculty and students are to notify Accessibility Resources.

What if the animal is out of control?

If the animal becomes out of control, and the animal’s handler does not take immediate, effective action to regain control of the animal, faculty and staff can send a conduct referral to the Student Conduct and Retention Manager. The person with a disability still has the opportunity to participate in college programs, classes, offerings, and facilities. If in doubt staff can contact Accessibility Resources.

Exclusions for Behavior

Service animals may be excluded from the campus when that animal’s behavior does not conform to public etiquette or poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

Although College staff may exclude any service animal that is out of control, we will give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to participate and access their goods and services without the service animal on premises.

Consequence for Behavior

When a service animal is determined to be out of control as reported by students, staff, or administration, the infraction will be treated on an individual basis. If the animal poses a threat to the safety of other individuals, the Student Conduct and Retention Manager and the Safety & Loss Prevention Director will be part of the collaboration team to determine the outcome of the behavior.

Consequences may include, but not be limited to, muzzling a barking animal, refresher training for both the animal and partner/handler, or exclusion of the animal from college facilities.

For More Information:

Students, Employees and Guests:

Carol Raymundo, Center for Accessibility Resources Director
Red Cedar Hall 105

Cliff Carpentier, Safety and Loss Prevention Director
Red Cedar Hall 119

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Americans with Disabilities
800-514-0301 (voice) and 800-514-0383 (TTY)
ADA Website