The MESA/Confidential Professional Development Application must be complete, with any additional pertinent information attached. Consideration of the request may be delayed if the application is incomplete.
Applications and amendments to applications will only be considered if submitted prior to the start of the activity. If the activity occurs prior to the committee’s review, and the request is denied, the employee/department will be responsible for all expenses.
The deadline for applications is 5 p.m. on the first working day of the month. The Committee will normally meet within the first 10 working days of the month, and applicants will be notified of their decision shortly thereafter. Applications submitted after the first working day of the month, but prior to the start of the activity, will be reviewed at the committee’s next scheduled meeting.
The committee has established the following guidelines for funding applications:
- The MESA Staff Development fund exists to help LBCC management and exempt employees attend workshops, seminars, conferences, and classes which enhance their ability to perform their job or promote career growth. (A maximum of 80% of the cost of an activity will be funded.)
- The committee does not fund thesis credits or research work for a Ph.D., professional membership dues, books, tapes, or other materials.
- To the extent possible, applicants are asked to make use of department/division funds for transportation costs. Applicants are encouraged to explore a variety of options when planning travel, including train, personal vehicle, rental car, etc.
- A maximum of $600 per person will be awarded each year.
- Applications will be considered on a first come, first serve basis but priority will be given to applicants who have not previously submitted an application for the current fiscal year.
- Each fiscal year, the committee will award no more than half of the available funding for activities occurring July through December. Remaining funds will be available for activities occurring January through June. Unexpended funds will be carried forward.
These procedures for reimbursement will be followed:
- LBCC's travel and transportation policies and procedures (Board Policy 6130 and Administrative Rule 6130-01) will be applied. A current Driver Status Report form must be on file prior to reimbursement for use of an automobile, either private or rental.
- Tuition will be reimbursed after coursework is completed and a copy of a passing grade is submitted. Note: Graduate-level tuition reimbursement is taxable income, and you should anticipate a deduction from your paycheck for income tax, social security tax, and PERS contributions. If you would like more information on your tax liability, or to make special withholding arrangements, please contact Human Resources at 917-4420.
- Cash advances and personal reimbursements will not be made prior to completion of the activity. Advance payments can be made by LBCC directly to a vendor for expenses such as registration, travel tickets, and lodging. Contact Amber Vore at (541) 917-4211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Once the activity has been completed, please complete the following:
- If the event has been paid for with college department funds, submit receipts and a Journal Entry Request form (showing the department account to be reimbursed.)
- If the event has been paid for with personal funds, submit receipts and a Travel Voucher for the appropriate year for reimbursement.
All necessary forms can be found in the LBCC Business Office page.
In order to receive reimbursement, all vouchers and receipts must be submitted to Amber Vore within 6 weeks following your activity, or by June 30 (whichever comes first). Failure to comply with the policy will result in your designated funds being returned to the MESA Professional Development fund for reallocation.