Center For Accessibility Resources

Faculty FAQs

What is CFAR?

The Center for Accessibility Resources (CFAR) ensures equal access for students with disabilities. CFAR works with students to plan appropriate accommodations. CFAR provides guidance to students on topics such as strategies for success and self-advocacy skills. CFAR also supports faculty in their efforts to provide accommodations. 

What are the legal mandates regarding services for students with disabilities?

Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) of 2009 protect students with disabilities from discrimination and ensure equal access to all programs, services, and activities in higher education. Both the institution of higher education and individual faculty have a responsibility to ensure equal access to students with disabilities. 

A Guide to Disability Rights Laws

How can I help ensure that my course materials are accessible?

Digital Accessibility at LBCC contains instructions and tips on how to make accessible documents including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, PDFs, and more! If you still have questions or concerns about your course materials, contact 

What are accommodations?

Accommodations are adjustments, modifications, and/or services to allow students with disabilities equal access to education. Accommodations are meant to "level the playing field" and support the college's commitment to equity and equal access for all students. 

How will I know if a student in my class requires accommodations?

You will receive an email notification of accommodations for each student. It is helpful to print out the email and keep for reference. 

What are my responsibilities in providing accommodations?

Faculty are responsible for implementing approved accommodations for students with disabilities. The notification letter you receive via email will outline a student's accommodations. It is important that approved accommodations are not avoided or denied by an instructor. If you have questions or concerns regarding a student's accommodations, please contact CFAR as soon as possible. 

What are the student's responsibilities regarding accommodations?

A student applies to CFAR, meets with staff to determine appropriate accommodations, attends a training session on how to use their accommodations, and then speaks to their instructors about the accommodations. Some accommodations are more complicated than others (such as testing, memory aids, and flexibility for attendance) and may require a sit down conversation and/or communication plan with each instructor. Students are coached on the importance of having a discussion with their instructors about their accommodations. Students must request their accommodations each term for every class in which accommodations will be used. Accommodations can be requested at any time during the term but are not retroactive. 

What accommodation can a student receive?

Academic accommodations are determined by the student's individual needs and how a disability(ies) impacts the student in college. Examples of common accommodations at LBCC are:

Notetaking Services

Testing Accomodations

  • Testing in a Distraction Reduced Space
  • Additional Time for Testin
  • Memory Aids

Assistive/Accessible Technology

  • Screen Reader
  • Smart Pen
  • E-Texts

Flexibility for Attendance

What if I receive an accommodation letter but the student does not speak to me, personally, about their accommodations? Do I still provide them?

Each student is coached on how to talk to their instructors about accommodations, however, students have varying levels of communication abilities and some disabilities make it very difficult to communicate with others. When a student does not contact you about their accommodations, it is helpful if instructors invite students to speak to them privately about their accommodations - this might be accomplished in a general announcement to class such as, "If you have accommodations, please make time to meet with me privately to discuss your needs". You can also reach out to them via email with a message such as, "I have received an accommodation notification letter and would like to talk to you further about your accommodation needs." 

If a student has testing accommodations (additional time and testing outside of the classroom) do these also apply to quizzes?

Yes. Testing accommodations include quizzes. The student should receive the same accommodations for quizzes as they do for exams. You may ask the student if they want to use accommodations for quizzes. Some students have disabilities that make it difficult to take any form of assessment without accommodations - including quizzes. 

If I have a student who is having difficulty in class and I think may benefit from academic accommodations, what should I do?

Talk to the student (in private - during office hours) or send them an email about what they appear to be struggling with in your class. Express your concerns - be specific (examples: "I noticed you earned a low grade on the last exam", "I noticed you haven't been to class for several sessions", "I'm concerned that you may not pass the class because you haven't turned in homework assignments").

  • Ask if they are working with anyone or a department on campus (such as the Advising Center or CFAR).
  • Inquire about how they did when they were last in school.
    • Were they on an IEP (individual education plan) in middle or high school?
    • Did they receive support services?
  • Tell them about resources on campus such as the Learning Center and CFAR.
  • Walk them over to, or call (x4789), CFAR and introduce them to staff.
  • Direct them to the online CFAR application.

I have a student in my class who claims to have a disability and has requested accommodations. I have not received any official paperwork from CFAR documenting the need to accommodate this student. Do I need to accommodate them?

Please contact CFAR to confirm that the student is working with us and has approved accommodations. If they are registered with CFAR, but you still have not received the letter via email, we can resend it to you. If the student is not working with CFAR, you may refer them to our office (RCH 105) and/or to the online CFAR application

For answers to additional frequently asked questions, please see our Faculty Guide to Accommodations page  or call (541) 917-4789