The Facilities Department of Linn-Benton Community College strives to maintain the physical surroundings of the College and provide quality service to ensure educational success for staff, students, and the public.

More information  is available in the Facilities Master Plan.



Frequently Asked Questions 

What is a Work Order?

Under our email system type in "requesw@linnbenton.edu." This sends an request to the Facilities Work System (Mpulse) which get's converted into a work order and assigned to one of the Facilities Team to review/complete the task. Under the subject line put: Where  (IA 231) What (install white board), under the email include contact or special instruction information. 

You will get an email letting you know the number assigned when it get's assigned to a team member, and you should be contacted by the team member after that.

What is an emergency?

Any time there is the potential of physical harm to a person due to faulty equipment, or damage to a building, or if there is a building security issue, an immediate phone call must be made to the Facilities office at ext. 4720.

For example:

  • A stairwell railing is broken
  • Pop or other liquid has been spilled
  • Electrical wiring / outlet is shorting
  • Stairwells are slick
  • There is a broken window
  • ...Or any other like situation

These types of situations need to be handled immediately, so a call should be made to alert the Facilities staff.

How do I regulate the heat in my area?

Building parameters are set to fall within 70 to 74 degrees.  Anything below or above this range can be reported to the Facilities office at ext. 4720.

To report an emergency after business hours, call 926-6855, or Campus Security at 917-4440

Who do I contact for disposal of excess property?

Please contact Mindy McCall in Risk Management & Safety (541) 917-4309