Affordable Textbook Selection Guidelines
Linn-Benton Community College is committed to reducing textbook costs for our students. The legislature has mandated that class sections with low cost course materials will be identified in the class schedule. Many community colleges, including LBCC, have defined low cost as under $40.
Departments and individual faculty are encouraged to consider low cost and free Open Educational Resources in the textbook selection process.
- Research low cost or free alternative materials
- with publishers
- with the library
- in OER repositories
- with the Campus Store
- Designate a default low cost or free alternative textbook for courses, as identified
by the department/individual faculty.
- That will be recommended to new instructors
- That will be used when the textbook ordering deadline has passed
- Adopt a low cost or free open educational resource department-wide for courses with multiple sections.
- Work with the Campus Store to:
- negotiate prices when ordering textbooks for multiple sections of a course
- order early enough to receive applicable discounts
- communicate your textbook selection, even if it is a low cost or free alternative
- understand options for selling printed copies of instructor/department-developed materials
- Train instructors to share instructor/department-developed course materials freely online.
Adopted by Linn-Benton Community College's Academic Affairs Council on 5/23/17.