Applications must be submitted BEFORE the activity occurs. Applications received by the committee support person (Amber Vore, CC-102-B, (541) 917-4211) by 5:00 p.m. of the first college business day of that month will be considered by the committee at its next meeting. Do not rely on campus mail near the deadlines.
Use the appropriate form below:
- Faculty Professional Development Application: For conferences, seminars and graduate credit course work.
- Faculty Professional Development Application - Self Directed Activity: Used for less structured activities including travel and group training requests.
- Professional Development Leave Form: Used for extended periods of time for completion of project work, finishing a graduate degree or other certification related to the job assignment.
The Professional Development (PD) committee will consider an application after the activity has occurred (as long as the application was received by the office before the activity date, assuming funds are available, and all approval criteria have been met.) It is strongly advised to check account balances available before leaving for an activity if the timeline is such that the committee will decide on the application after the activity dates. The PD committee will NOT consider allocating additional funds or redistributing funds after an activity has occurred if the application was not received by the deadline except in extraordinary circumstances.
The PD committee considers applications on a first-come, first-served basis. Early applications are encouraged. Applications for the next fiscal year will be first considered beginning with the March meeting. Applications for an extended Professional Development Leave will be considered 2 times a year for the subsequent academic year; these will be in October and again in February of the application year. Committee members exist in every division and are available to assist in completing applications. If an applicant does not know who the committee representative is in the division, please consult the dean.
Two-year individual allowance is $4,000.
This is for a rolling balance of the current and previous year expenses combined.
Criteria for Approval:
- The activity is directly related to the faculty member’s professional assignment.
- The application is completed and signed.
- The location of the activity, dates of activity and all itemized costs are clearly filled in.
- The application has an explanation component; this section should be clear, logical, sufficiently detailed and self-explanatory. The committee reserves the right to request additional information to approve an application if sufficient documentation is not supplied in the first grant application packet.
- Supporting documentation specifying activity content and costs is attached e.g. conference print out, flyer, course descriptions, flight and hotel information, mileage estimates from a reliable source e.g. mapquest.
- If a conference is held at a hotel and the costs exceed the lodging per diem, the higher amount will be allowed only if supporting documentation shows this exceeding cost is provided. The applicant must show the conference is being held at the hotel for approval of the application.
- Department and/or personal cost share is at least 10% of the total cost. Exception for this cost share is when the applicant is only applying for registration or tuition.
The applicant is responsible for determining if department funds are available to support the activity in advance; this includes coverage for substitutes for classes missed during PD activity or leave.
The 10% cost-share may come from department funds OR personal funds, OR a combination of the two.
Actual cost for substitute instructors is considered a department cost share and should be included on the application; consult the administrative assistant in your division to estimate this cost on application whenever possible. Place this entry into the “other” category on the form to show contribution by department.
The following are NOT considered cost-share components, nor will they be allowed in the final PD funds allocation by the committee.
- Department activities that include supervision of student groups or functions already covered by standard work responsibilities. This includes student field trips, coaching, mentoring of new faculty, peer coaching/training etc.
- Late registration fees to a conference or workshop.
- Fees associated with a college class e.g. technology, health or other institutional fees.
- Books and media (including software).
- Professional certification tests or preparation designed specifically for such a test.
- Thesis or research credits.
- Non-graduate level credit courses.
- Travel to on-going classes.
- Salary or wages (while on leave or during an activity).
- Curriculum development projects.
- Tips or personal expenses.
Eligibility of Application:
- Each faculty member must submit his/her own application. It must be complete!
- Funding is not transferable to other activities or other faculty members.
- If a funded activity is postponed and falls within the same fiscal year, the funds are still available, but the PD committee must be notified in writing of the change.
- Faculty on professional development leave will be given lower priority for activity funding than those using a regular PD Application grant form.
- When it is more economical due to the number of faculty participating to bring a workshop to LBCC, requests by a group of at least three individuals may be made to the committee using the Self –Directed Activities Form. Each group member’s name and signature must accompany the request. If funded, the cost will be divided among the participating faculty members and charged to each individual’s allocation.
- Carry-over funds (if available) from the previous fiscal year, can be used for group speakers with no charge to individual account balance up to $3,000.
- Supervisors do not approve or disapprove of requests for funds from the PD committee, but they must receive the application five working days before the activity. Applications are sent to the supervisor through LaserFiche once submitted and checked for completeness, and the supervisor/dean has 5 days to make comments on the application before it goes to the committee. Applications are approved and referred by the PD committee, but ultimately the decision for final funding is through the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- If the activity occurs on a contract day, faculty members are expected to discuss the impact of the absence on classes and other work assignments with their manager in a timely manner. Approval of funding by a committee does not release the applicant from work responsibilities.
- Applicants are asked to use the least expensive, timely mode of travel i.e. when air travel is less costly than mileage, this form of transportation will be considered the priority.
- Rental cars require justification during an activity. A written statement for private car use with mileage exceeding air or train transport also requires explanation for consideration.
- Meals and lodging are reimbursable at a per diem rate by travel location. For a complete listing of per diem rates (which can vary through the year), and by the specific location please consult http://www.gsa.gov/.
- Applicants need to deduct the costs of meals covered by a conference registration fees from the total amount requested.
- Lodging taxes should be entered as a separate line in the fillable form, and not included with the per diem lodging rate. It is best to consult the hosting accommodation site for a reliable estimate to include this in the application request.
- One additional night’s stay is allowed to significantly reduce airline costs (include this in the justification statement as necessary with supporting documentation).
- International travel is no longer covered by PD funds. An individual can pay for their own international travel and apply for funds to cover registration and other approved costs in another country, but not the travel itself. Travel to the foreign destination can be considered as part of the cost-share contribution from the individual.
- Upon PD committee approval of an application, advance payments can be made to a vendor for expenses such as registration, travel tickets and lodging, but no cash advances are made.
Keep all receipts and travel vouchers during your activity.
Fill out the Post-Activity Summary along with your receipts and the Travel Voucher for the appropriate year to Amber Vore within SIX weeks of the activity.
The Faculty Post-Activity Summary should be brief and MUST be turned in to your supervisor/dean.
Forms and receipts submitted later than June 30th of a fiscal year will not be reimbursed. There are NO exceptions to this rule.
Tuition is reimbursed in full AFTER a receipt for the cost and a copy of a passing grade from the supporting educational institution are submitted – not during or before.
Reimbursements involving cars depend upon having a yearly Driver Status Report Form on file with the Campus Public Safety Office, RCH-119 [it is advisable to check that the report file is up to date before activity]. If it is not up-to-date, the reimbursement process will be delayed by several weeks.