Utility Failure

Electrical Failures

Stay calm, use a flashlight, and move to a lighted area. 

Contact Facilities at 917-4720, or Public Safety at Ext. 411, Ext. 4440, or (541) 926-6855.

Turn off computers or other electrical equipment to avoid a power surge. Assess the extent of outage in your area; emergency lights will come on for 15 to 20 minutes in most areas.

  1. Assist other building occupants if needed - dark areas can be a hazard.
  2. Evaluate the work area for hazards created by the power outage (too dark to walk safely, etc.). Secure hazardous materials. Take actions to preserve safety and health.
  3. Turn off and/or unplug non-essential electrical equipment, computer equipment, and appliances. Keep refrigerators and freezers closed throughout the outage to keep them cold.
  4. If needed, open windows (in mild weather) for additional light and ventilation.
  5. The decision to release faculty, staff, and students during an extended power outage is made by the college administration.
  6. To obtain information during a prolonged outage, call Campus Public Safety, or listen for a Public Address System announcements.

Fire Alarm and Telephone Systems:
On Main Campus, the fire alarm system has a 72-hour battery backup system. The telephone system will function for approximately 4 to 6 hours after an electrical failure. The Extended Learning Centers do not have an uninterrupted power supply, and therefore do not have phone service during a power outage.

Battery powered emergency lights have been installed at critical locations. These lights are immediately activated upon power loss, and will provide emergency lighting for approximately 2 hours. If electrical power fails, pause for a moment before moving to allow your eyes to adjust to the sudden loss of light - this will help prevent tripping or injury while moving in darkness. Emergency lights may take a minute or so to fully illuminate.

Natural Gas Leak:
If a natural gal odor is detected, open all doors and windows to ventilate the area. DO NOT USE ANY TELEPHONE IN THE AREA OF THE ODOR. DO NOT turn out lights, or switch equipment off (to avoid sparking). If the odor is strong, evacuate the building.

Contact Facilities at 917-4720; after normal business hours contact Public Safety at 926-6855.

If a serious leak occurs and you cannot use a phone, you MAY pull the fire alarm to evacuate the building (per the Albany Fire Department), and then immediately find a phone outside the affected area. Call 911 and Public Safety to report the reason for the fire alarm.

Public Safety will work with Facilities to notify Northwest Natural Gas (if needed).

Facilities will determine the cause of the utility problem - whether it is a water leak, service disruption, or electrical outage - by investigating the source of the problem and/or contacting the proper contractor. They will coordinate repairs and provide information to all staff via email or other means.

Water Emergencies:
Water emergencies may be caused by spills, roof leaks, plumbing, weather-related problems, or other causes. Any of these may create human health and safety hazards and/or damage to college facilities.

If any water leakage is observed, immediately report the nature and location of the problem to Facilities at (541) 917-4720 and Public Safety at Ext. 411, Ext. 4440, or (541) 926-6855. If at an Extended Learning Center, notify the MAIN DESK in order to immediately cordon the area to prevent slips, falls, bacterial hazards, electrocution, or other harm. Use caution cones, if available, to cordon the area.

TURN OFF ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT ONLY IF THERE ARE NO SPARKS, NO FALLEN WIRES, AND NO DIRECT CONTACT WITH WATER. If electrical equipment has been exposed to water, do not attempt to resolve the problem without assistance from qualified personnel.

If the leak is from a plumbing line, and it is safe and possible to do so, prevent additional water from entering or escaping the plumbing lines by turning off all faucets/sources of water.