Grading, Grade Changes and Grade Appeals

Grading is done in WebRunner (where you got your course roster).  Grades are due by noon on the Friday of Finals week.  You can also make grade changes in WebRunner, by going to the grade sheet, clicking on the grade in question, making the change, and clicking “Submit Grade Change” at the bottom of the page.

Linn-Benton uses whole letter grades (no pluses or minuses): A,B,C,D, and F.  We also issue the following grades:

  •  IN – Incomplete work.  In order to give an Incomplete, a Student must instigate a “Request for an Incomplete.”  Forms are available in SSH workroom or at First Stop Center.  The student has until the end of the following term (exception: Spring term students have until end of next Fall term) to complete the work and submit it to the instructor.  If the student complies with the agreement, the instructor may submit the new grade in WebRunner.  If the student does not complete the work, the grade will default to what was agreed upon at the time of signing the “Request for Incomplete” form.  (i.e. if the student would have received a D in the class, that should be noted on the Incomplete form and the grade will become a D at the end of the given period.
  •  W  -- Withdrawal
  •  P/NP – Pass or No Pass
  •  AU – Audit


Your department chair will give you a copy of the Course Outline, which will state whether a student may take the course on a Pass/ No Pass basis.  Grades of incomplete or work in progress can have serious effects on a student’s financial aid status, but are appropriate in some cases.  Consult your department chair or Dean if you have any questions about grading.  See the above section on Departmental Norms and Standards to see if your department has a standard agreement about what constitutes various grades.

If a student wants to appeal a grade

When a student believes that he/she has been awarded an inappropriate grade, the first step is to appeal the grade to you, the instructor.  If they are not satisfied with your explanation of the grade, the next step is to appeal to the division Dean.  The Dean will review the facts related to the appeal (tests, papers, reports, attendance, etc.).  The decision of the Dean will be final and will be forwarded to the instructor and student within 30 days upon receipt.  The vice president of Student Services may, with the student’s consent, intervene on the student’s behalf at any stage of the grade dispute resolution proceedings.

Awarding extra credit

Similar to grading/exam/assignment norms, awarding extra credit is an issue that should be consistent with the rest of your department.  Please discuss the issue with your Department Chair.