When discussing equity at LBCC, it is important to know exactly who we are discussing. The Values, Inclusion and Cultural Engagement (VICE) Council can lead the college in providing clarity and defining the context of the exact populations that are being discussed when equity is being referenced at the college. Providing clarity will offer more focus and strategic direction in carrying out the college mission, its core themes, and its strategic objectives.
At LBCC, when we describe equity we look through the following filters (in no particular order):
- Students from selected zip codes within our service district
- First-generation college-going students
- Pell-eligible students
- Students of color
- Students with disabilities
- Individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender
- Nontraditional students
- Students who formerly served in the Armed Forces of the United States
- People whose first language is not English
- Undocumented students
- International students
- Emerging Issues
The VICE Council must also determine recommendations for metrics for success of the students identified by the college.
At Linn-Benton Community College, our values serve as the foundation that inspires our actions and unites us as a community. As responsible stewards, we are committed to these values (See Board Policy 1010):
- Opportunity: We support the fulfillment of potential in ourselves and each other.
- Excellence: We aspire to the highest ideal with honesty and integrity.
- Inclusiveness: We honor and embrace the uniqueness of every individual, and promote the free and civil expression of ideas, perspectives, and cultures.
- Learning: We commit to the lifelong pursuit of knowledge, skills, and abilities to improve our lives and our communities.
- Engagement: We openly and actively connect as students, faculty, staff, and community.
A yearly survey was administered to the LBCC campus community in 2015, 2016, and 2017 to measure the following:
- Awareness of college values.
- The perceived use of the values by survey respondents.
- The perceived use of the values by others as observed by survey respondents.
The resulting Values Survey Reports, along with the raw data collected, are included below.