Communication Focus Award
This 3-course LBCC program is designed for individuals interested in developing their communication skills, so they can interact well with others in any workplace environment.
Even in our current digital age, effective face-to-face interactions are integral to employee performance. Given the changing landscape of professional communication in the 21st century, this award addresses the timeless need for oral communication training.
Award recipients will acquire a solid foundation of soft skills that proves to be
beneficial throughout their respective careers.
- Gain a set of soft skills that employers highly value
- Build a resumé that demonstrates your communication competence, setting you apart from the crowd
- Develop strong skills without having to major or minor in communication
- Engage in a high-quality program at a fraction of the cost charged by private sector
- Comm 111: Public Speaking
- Comm 114: Argument & Critical Discourse (formerly Comm 112)
- Comm 218: Interpersonal Communication
- Control nervousness and anxiety when speaking to others
- Organize thoughts on the spot and speak with clarity
- Verbally articulate your ideas promptly when called upon
- Listen actively and respond to others in an effective manner
- Recognize and manage nonverbal cues, including facial expressions, eye contact, vocal characteristics, and gestures
- Communicate interest in a topic and adapt your communication style to diverse audiences
- Participate confidently in meetings, discussions, and presentations
- Receive, appreciate, analyze, and apply constructive criticism
- Solve problems and negotiate conflict resolutions interpersonally or in a team environment
Note, all courses must be completed with a grade B or higher. Also, this Focus Award should not be confused with a degree or certificate. It is not officially recognized by the state, and the award will not appear on your official LBCC transcript.