Medical assistants perform a variety of basic medical duties, primarily in the outpatient setting. These duties may include:
- Taking patient histories.
- Recording patients' vital signs.
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens.
- Preparing patients for exams, X-rays, and procedures.
- Taking patient EKG's.
- Phlebotomy, wound dressing, and other duties.
Medical assistants may also have clerical duties, which may include completing insurance forms, scheduling appointments, billing, and bookkeeping.
For more information about this career, as well as the current employment outlook, visit the U.S. Department of Labor and Oregon Employment Department websites.