Proving Your Disability

Linn-Benton Community College’s Center for Accessibility Resources applies standards for documentation requirements established by the Association for Higher Education and Disabilities (AHEAD,

Disability documentation will vary in weight and value depending on the original context, credentials of the evaluator, and the level of detail provided.

Acceptable sources of documentation for proving a student’s disability and requests can take a variety of forms. These may include:

  • Documents from a diagnosing professional (medical doctor, licensed therapist, an educational diagnostician, psychologist or psychiatrist) indicating diagnosis, date of onset, how condition significantly impacts abilities, and recommended accommodations.
  • Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan from educational facility, complete with special education eligibility determination and associated testing scores.
  • Submitting a Statement of Disability. This is a detailed, self-disclosure statement explaining specific concerns, relative past history, how learning impacted, and what accommodations may be helpful.

Documentation should be applicable, identifying how the disability affects the student, but it may not necessarily be recent. Documentation is meant to supplement and confirm what the student identifies as the barriers to learning or accessing an education.

The Center for Accessibility Resources recognizes that students play a vital role in knowing how the disability impacts them and are a source in determining how a disability limits them in their lives and education.

  • Students who self-report having a disability can often identify how it is currently impacting them in classes and on campus.
  • Historical information and the student’s self-report may be enough to describe how the condition impacts the student’s learning.
  • This is determined on an individual basis. No blanket statement will be made.

Release of Documentation (ROD) - Release of Documentation (ROD) form can be sent to Diagnosing Professionals, Educational Facilities and Vocational Rehabilitation Centers to request documentation be sent directly to our office.  The student needs to fill out and sign page one of the form, and deliver it to their diagnosing professional, school or Vocational Rehabilitation counselor.  We are happy to fax completed forms for you from our office.  RODs can be found outside our office at RCH105.  

Note on IEPs/504's - If you are coming from a high school, your IEP or 504 Plan may not be accepted solely as documentation of your disability.  If submitted to show history, the IEP must be complete and include any testing to determine the need for the plan.  These plans can provide helpful information regarding accommodations you have used in the past.

The Center for Accessibility Resources welcomes questions and recommends students contact the office directly if unsure about the documentation guidelines or if they do not have access to getting the supporting documentation. 

Documents or evidence of disability may be uploaded with application, mailed, faxed, emailed or brought into our office.

Center for Accessibility Resources
6500 Pacific Blvd SW, RCH-105
Albany, OR 97321
Tel: (541) 917-4789
Fax: (541) 917-4328