Question and Answers

 FAQ Banner



Q1 - What correspondence will I receive from financial aid?

Students receive the following types of correspondence at various times in the financial aid process:
Receipt of FAFSA E-mail: When your FAFSA is received, you will get an e-mail notification asking you to login to your WebRunner account to view your outstanding requirements. Note: This will be sent to your school e-mail, unless you don’t have one yet, in which case it will go to the e-mail address you listed on the FAFSA.
Additional Information Letter and/or Phone Call: You will receive an additional information letter if you submitted incomplete forms. You may also receive an additional information letter or a phone call when your file is being reviewed by a financial aid advisor and he or she needs clarification or additional documentation. It is also possible to receive one of these letters after you have been awarded if a unique situation arises.

Financial Aid Award Notification: When your file has been awarded, you will receive an e-mail asking you to login to your WebRunner account to view your award. Note: This will be sent to your school e-mail address.

Loan Instructions E-mail: If you received a Financial Aid Award Notification and accepted the loans that were offered to you, you will be placed in a federal database. In three to five business days, you will receive the Loan Instructions E-mail with further instructions on how to complete the loan process. Note: This will be sent to your school e-mail address.

Q2 - Why does financial aid have limited office hours?

We wish that we were able to always answer phone calls and meet with students, but it is necessary that we limit this time in order to process our high volume of financial aid applications and paperwork. Many students are awarded financial aid during closure times. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Q3 - Is there anyone who can help me fill out my FAFSA?

Get Help

Check the Help section of the FAFSA website or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-­800-­4­-FED AID ((800) 433-3243). The Department of Education also provides answers to frequently asked questions about the FAFSA, and FAFSA on the Web Live Help, a secure online chat session that allows you to ask questions of customer service representatives.

The financial aid office will assist students with questions they have regarding the FAFSA, but cannot complete the application with them. If a FAFSA help event is being hosted in the area, the LBCC financial aid office will help post announcements.

There are many other resources to help students complete the FASFA, including this FAFSA tutorial. The FAFSA website also features a help page and they can be contacted directly with additional questions.

Q4 - What e-mail does the financial aid office use to send me information?

If you are a new student who has yet to complete the admissions process, financial aid will use the e-mail you listed on the FAFSA. Once you have completed the admissions process, we will use your LBCC e-mail account.

Q5 - What is WebRunner?

WebRunner is the electronic Student Information System. It is a secure database containing your personal information. In addition to many other items, it allows you to view your outstanding financial aid requirements and your award notification.

Q6 - How long will it take for my financial aid to be ready if I miss the priority deadline date?

It depends. If you are making satisfactory academic progress and satisfied all of your outstanding requirements, then you are likely at step four of the Financial Aid Process. It typically takes about 12-14 weeks for your file to be reviewed, but can be longer during peak times.

During the review process, you may be asked to submit additional documentation, meet with an advisor, or clarify certain information. The length of time that this step takes depends upon your promptness in responding to these additional inquires.

If necessary, the financial aid advisor will make corrections to your FAFSA information. It can take up to another two weeks to get those corrections back from the federal government.

If you are eligible, your file will be awarded after all of these steps have been completed.

Q7 - I was awarded financial aid at another college, does that transfer to LBCC?

No. Financial aid must be awarded by each school. Furthermore, if you are transferring within the same academic year, you will need to cancel your financial aid at your previous college(s) and provide LBCC with documentation to show that it has been canceled.

Q8 - Will my personal credit history affect my eligibility for loans?

No. Federal Direct Loans are awarded based on your financial aid eligibility, not your credit history. No credit checks will be run. Once loans are taken out, however, they will have an impact on your credit. Defaulting on your student loans, for example, will negatively impact your credit score.

Q9 - What if my financial situation is different now than what is reflected on my tax return?

If your household experienced a situation that caused your income to change significantly, please request a Special Situation form and meet with a financial aid advisor during an available drop-in time. Substantial documentation is required and only extenuating circumstances will be considered. Quitting work to go back to school is usually not considered an extenuating circumstance.

Q10 - When do I get my money?

Financial aid is disbursed the second week of the term, except for accelerated learning programs, which operate on their own schedules.

Q11 - How do I sign up for Direct Deposit of my financial aid?

Direct Deposit is a very convenient option offered by the LBCC Business Office to have your financial aid refunds deposited quickly and safely into your bank account.

Sign up for Direct Deposit by logging into WebRunner:
  • Click on "Personal Information" menu
  • Then go to "Direct Deposit Authorization for Student Financial Aid / Tuition Refunds"
  • Remember to update your WebRunner banking info when there are changes

Q12 - Can I use my financial aid to purchase books?

Yes, many students can. Students who have already been awarded financial aid and have enough aid to cover their tuition and fees owed may have an available charge for their books and supplies at the LBCC Bookstore. This amount will be listed on each student’s WebRunner account.
  • Charges can only take place beginning the Monday prior to the term through the end of the first week
  • When your financial aid applies to your account, tuition, fees, and bookstore charges will be deducted from the refund amount that is sent to you

Example: Robby has been awarded the Pell grant for $1200 at full time status. He also has loans for another $1000 and he has already accepted and completed the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note. He is enrolled in 12 credits (full time) and owes $1092 for tuition and fees. Beginning the Monday before the term, Robby will have the following bookstore charge:
  $2200 for total financial aid - $1092 owed = $1108 total bookstore charge.

If Robby charged nothing at the bookstore, he would receive $1108 in a refund on the date of disbursement. Anything he charges simply comes out of the refund he is later due. If he charges $500 for books, for instance, he will receive $608 when financial aid is disbursed.

Note: Your bookstore charge is dependent upon your enrollment level. Waitlisted classes will not count toward your enrollment level.

Should you want to buy books and supplies from somewhere other than the campus bookstore, stop by the Financial Aid Office to inquire about an Eldon Schafer loan.


Q13 - Can I use my financial aid funds from next term to pay for this term?

No. Each term’s award is subject to your enrollment in that term.

Q14 - How do I know which programs are eligible for financial aid?

Generally, eligible academic programs are those that are at least one year in length, lead to a degree or certificate, or provide full credit toward a baccalaureate degree. Check with the LBCC Financial Aid Office if you are unsure of the eligibility of your program.

Q15 - Can I receive financial aid even though I have an undecided major?

Yes, but only temporarily and if you are a new student. You must declare an eligible major before you have attempted 30 credits.

Q16 - What happens if I fail to meet the academic standards?

You must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements in order to remain eligible for financial aid. Failure to meet these standards will result in the loss of financial aid eligibility for all future terms, unless you successfully petition for reinstatement.

If you have extenuating circumstances, you should complete a Financial Aid Appeal Form.

If your suspension was not based on extenuating circumstances, you must enroll and successfully complete six or more credits without the assistance of financial aid. Once this task is complete, you will be able to request reinstatement of your financial aid by completing the Financial Aid Appeal Form. Reinstatement is not guaranteed.

Q17 - What can I do if my Financial Aid Appeal is denied?

In the event that your Financial Aid Appeal is denied, you may drop in during posted appeal hours to have your appeal heard in person. Click here for the Student Appeal Form. Please be sure to bring this completed form with you to your appeal.

Instead of meeting with the appeal committee, you may also elect to enroll and successfully complete six or more credits without the assistance of financial aid. Once this task is complete, you will be able to request reinstatement of your financial aid by completing another Financial Aid Appeal Form. Reinstatement is not guaranteed.

Q18 - Should I drop/withdraw from a class or get a bad grade?

This is a complicated question because it varies depending upon the situation. You may wish to meet with a financial aid advisor during an available drop-in time to discuss your details.

The financial aid advisor will go over the Academic Standards for Financial Aid with you. Under these standards, it is generally better to receive a “W” over an “F” because the “W” only negatively affects your completion percentage, while the “F” affects your GPA and completion percentage. Both, however, count as classes that you attempted and did not complete. So, in many circumstances you may lose your eligibility regardless of whether you received a “W” or an “F”.

Q19 - Why can't I receive loans when I am in a denied status?

Federal Direct Loans are considered part of your financial aid package and are subject to the same academic standards as grants.

Q20 - How will dropping a class affect my financial aid?

If you drop a class before the tuition due date for each term, you will not be paid financial aid for it and it will not affect your Academic Standing for financial aid. Dropping classes after the tuition deadline, however, may impact you. Students are expected to stay in compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.

On the Academic Standards page, there is a chart which shows what will happen to a student’s financial aid if he or she fails to complete all of the attempted credits. In addition to the chart, students are expected to meet the other cumulative requirements listed. Furthermore, students who do not complete any classes may owe a repayment of their financial aid and may be denied financial aid at LBCC and all schools.

Q21 - Can I add classes later in the term?

You may add classes, but in most cases it will not affect your enrollment level for financial aid purposes. On the date of disbursement for each term (the first Monday of the second week), we will look at what you are enrolled in and pay you accordingly. Adding classes after you have been paid will not increase your financial aid.

Q22 - What if I don't attend for a term that I was awarded?

You should complete a Revision Request Form to notify the financial aid office that you will not be attending for the term. Your award will then be revised. In most cases, students would still be eligible to receive the financial aid for the future terms that they were previously awarded.

If you don’t attend for an extended period, you may have to begin making loan repayments. Loan payments start six months after your last date of at least half-time attendance (6+ credits).

Q23 - What do I do if I change my enrollment level?

You do not need to notify us. Financial aid is awarded at full-time status. Your aid will automatically be adjusted based on your actual enrollment level on the date of disbursement.

Q24 - How many credits do I need to be enrolled in to receive loans?

You must be enrolled in at least six credits, which is considered half-time enrollment.

Q25 - How do I apply for scholarships at LBCC?

Go to: /scholarships

Click on: Online Scholarship and Application System
Click on: Sign up and follow instructions

Q26 - How do scholarships or other financial assistance affect financial aid?

Scholarships and other resources that you might receive will count as a resource. All of your financial aid combined, including grants, loans, and other resources, cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance. This means that in some circumstances we may have to decrease your loans offered because of scholarships or other outside resources you are receiving. The Pell Grant and Oregon Opportunity Grant will not be reduced.

If you expect to receive off-campus scholarships, grants, or other assistance, you are legally obligated to report the amount(s) to the financial aid office.

Q27 - What is Federal Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based program made available by the federal government to qualifying students enrolled in at least six credits. Students awarded FWS need to secure a job on campus and work towards their maximum award amount. The maximum award amount is simply the most money that students can make in a term and does not represent what each student will receive. Students will receive paychecks based on their hourly wage and the hours they worked.

Q28 - Will I lose my Work-Study award if I don't get a job?

If you have not been placed in a job by the end of the fourth week of classes, your work study certification may be canceled without further notice and offered to other students waiting to work. Students who have been awarded FWS for summer term, but secured a position that doesn't start until fall term, may submit a Revision Request Form asking for their award to be revised. This will prevent their entire award from being canceled for not securing a position in the summer.