Traveling & Visa Renewal

We're glad you're here! And, we're excited for you to have adventures! We hope these travel tips and the visa renewal information will help make your journey a bit smoother.

Traveling within the United States

  1. Take a copy of your current I-20 and your passport with you.
  2. Carry your health insurance card.
  3. Be prepared to show picture ID when asked (passport, Oregon Driver's License, or state-issued ID).
  4. Your passport must be valid for six months into the future at all times.
  5. If your visa expires and you are admitted into the U.S. for the duration of your studies (noted on your I-94 card as "D/S”), you may stay in the U.S. as long as you are a full-time student.

Traveling outside the United States

Documents to carry with you:

  1. I-20 (with travel signature* dated within the last 12 months)
  2. Valid passport (valid for 6 months into the future on date of re-entry)
  3. Valid visa (exceptions to Canada or Mexico for 30 days or less)
  4. Proof of enrollment (transcript/schedule of class)
  5. If on OPT – also carry your EAD card and proof of employment (strongly recommended)
  6. If you changed immigration status while in the U.S., carry change of status approval notice (I-797)


  1. Check to see if the countries you are visiting require you to obtain a visa (e.g. transit visa).
  2. If your visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new U.S. visa at a U.S. Consulate/Embassy abroad–plan your time accordingly.

Other Considerations:

  1. Continue to check your LBCC student email while you are away. All college notices, including information that could affect your immigration status, will be communicated via your LBCC email account.
  2. Make certain that there are no holds on your student account.
  3. Whether you are traveling within or outside the USA, bring your health insurance card with you.
  4. Make travel plans to attend the first week of each term. The instructor has a right to drop you from classes, if you are not present.
  5. Register for classes before you go on break (12 credits or more).
  6. Check to be sure you're packing only what is allowed when you come back to the U.S. Look at the Don't Pack A Pest website for a quick reference.

Renewing Your Visa

  • Your visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection immigration officer to enter the United States.
  • Your visa must be valid at the time you enter.
  • Check your F-1 student visa expiration date before you travel. If your visa expires before you plan to return to the United States, you will have to obtain a new F-1 student visa.
  • Visas may be renewed at a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the United States. It is best to renew an F-1 visa in your home country.
  • Be sure to allow plenty of time to renew your visa. Visa wait times do not include administrative processing or the time it takes for your visa to be ready for pick-up or delivery by courier after the Consular Officer has made the decision to issue it.

To renew your visa, you will need the following items:

  1. A valid passport. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months past the planned re-entry date.
  2. Your current I-20.
  3. A letter of good standing written by LBCC International Programs.
  4. An official LBCC transcript showing previous grades.
  5. Proof of registration for the next term, schedule/bill showing your student account has a zero balance.
  6. Proof of financial support.