All international students are required to have medical insurance. LBCC requires international students to purchase insurance through Firebird International Insurance Group. For specific exceptions, see the bottom of this page.
This video gives you a brief introduction about how to use your insurance.
The Firebird Insurance Policy does not cover travel insurance, routine physical exams, or regular eye and dental care. You are encouraged to plan for your routine physicals, eye appointments, and dental work with your home physicians.
Firebird's website can help you with the following:
- Find a doctor (see steps below).
- Print prescription claim forms for reimbursement.
- Print claim forms for reimbursement.
To look for a doctor, follow the steps:
- Go to the First Choice Health Page.
- Create a log-in for First Choice Health.
- From there, look for a provider in your area.
You are required to pay the health insurance fee before the start of every term. In spring, students must pay for spring and summer insurance fees unless they plan to transfer to another institution at the start of summer term.
Students are not required to purchase Firebird insurance if:
- The student provides a letter from the government of the student's country stating that the government will provide insurance, including coverage for repatriation and medical evacuation.
- The student is co-enrolled at OSU and has international student health insurance at OSU (please provide a copy of your bill from your student account, showing that you have been charged for insurance).
- A student is on OPT and has employer-provided insurance.
Privately purchased insurance is not an acceptable alternative.