We recommend that child care providers develop and communicate clear policies, to include:
- Notice of when children will not be able to attend.
- Vacation/days off policy.
- Arrival and departure times.
- Non-admittance of sick children.
- Requirements for giving medicines.
- Consent for treatment forms.
- Immunization requirements.
- Daily schedule (give an example including both active and quiet activities).
- Field trips – typical examples, permission forms.
- Resource teachers.
- Transportation guidelines.
- Who, when, how parents are notified.
- Meal times, snack times, who provides what.
- Procedure, where, what kind of sleeping arrangements (blankets, linens, who provides?).
- What steps taken (prevention, redirection, positive reinforcement, shadowing, explaining what “to do,” quieting time, discussion).
- Extra diapers, change of clothing, coats, boots, hats, provided by parents.
- Personal toys – when and what may be brought.