BOARD POLICY SERIES NUMBER: 8020
TITLE: HONORARY DEGREES AND AWARDS
It is the intent of the Board of Education that the college publicly recognize individuals who have significantly contributed to and/or exemplify the mission and values of LBCC.
The Board of Education may recognize individuals for the following awards:
Distinguished Citizen, in recognition of an individual who has provided significant direct support to the mission and values of LBCC as a private citizen.
Criteria for selection of a persons for the Distinguished Citizen Award are:
The recipient must have served the college for several years (suggested minimum eight years);
The recipient must have made significant contributions of time and energy to LBCC; and
- The recipient must have had a major influence on the college, its philosophy, and/or its purpose.
Honorary Degree, in recognition of an individual who has supported the college mission either directly or through work on the local, state or national level to improve higher education and training.
Criteria for the selection of a person for an honorary degree are:
The recipient should have made a contribution to the college and/or his/her community and/or the state and/or the nation and/or education over a period of time.
- The recipient's life and behavior should reflect favorably upon him/herself and on the college.
Distinguished Alumni Award, in recognition of an individual who has significantly contributed to LBCC, the community, the state, the nation or education as an LBCC alumnus.
The person will have completed a minimum of 36 credits at LBCC.
- The person will have made a significant contribution to LBCC, the community, the state, the nation, or education over a period of time.
Emeritus Status, in recognition of an individual who has significantly contributed to LBCC, the community, the state, the nation or education and is retired or retiring as an LBCC employee.
The criteria for Emeritus Status are:
- Individuals must have performed in one or more of the areas of teaching, scholarship, and/or service in an exemplary manner over an extended period (20 years).
- Individuals must have demonstrated a strong commitment to the college, its goals, and general well-being as an academic institution in the community.
DATE OF ADOPTION: 03/10/83
DATE(S) OF REVISION(S): 09/16/92; 09/15/99; 05/21/03; 11/15/05; 10/21/09, 03/18/15
DATE OF LAST REVIEW: 12/15/09, 03/18/15; 1/16/19