- Board Policies and Administrative Rules
- 1000 Series - The College
- 2000 Series - The Board of Education
- 3000 Series - Board and President Relationship
- 4000 Series - Academic Affairs
- 5000 Series - Finance and Operations
- 6000 Series - Human Resources
- 7000 Series - Student Services
- 8000 Series - College Advancement
BOARD POLICY SERIES NUMBER: 7080
TITLE: TUITION WAIVER FOR DEPENDENTS OF VETERANS AND OREGON PUBLIC SERVICE PERSONNEL
This policy is to meet the requirements of the Oregon legislature in providing a tuition waiver for dependents of veterans and public service personnel who provide safety, security, and community development
Applicants for a waiver must be a resident of the Linn-Benton Community College district at the time of application for a waiver.
The tuition waiver is available to students admitted to a certificate or degree program only. This waiver is also limited to 135 college credits or the completion of an Associate degree or certificate, whichever comes first. The waiver includes general student fees. Fees not covered by the waiver include course or program fees, community education fees, or distance learning program fees for students residing out of state. Continuation of this waiver is contingent upon the student meeting the applicable satisfactory academic progress requirements.
Application for a tuition waiver based on any of the circumstances described above must be submitted two weeks prior to the start of a term
- TUITION WAIVER FOR DEPENDENTS OF VETERANS:
Linn-Benton Community College will provide a tuition waiver to:
1) The spouse, un-remarried spouse or children age 23 and under (including adoptive and step-children) of members of all branches of the United States Armed Forces or United States Coast Guard who:
- Died while on active duty, or
- Died as a result of a military service-connected disability, or
- Is 100% disabled as a result of a military service-connected disability as certified by the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Eligibility for Chapter 35 benefits will not be used as verification or disqualification of eligibility for the waiver under this section.
2) The child (including adopted or stepchild) of a Purple Heart recipient, alive or deceased, who was relieved or discharged with either an honorable or general discharge and was awarded the Purple Heart.
The spouse of the eligible service member must initiate the request for a waiver with documentation of the determination of death, disability determination, or awarding of the Purple Heart. The spouse will lose eligibility upon remarriage. Dependent children using the waiver must be 23 or younger at the time of application.
The amount of the tuition waived may be reduced by the amount of any federal aid scholarships, grants, awards from the Oregon Opportunity Grant program, or any other scholarship or grant based aid from the college. The amount waived may not be reduced by any amount of eligible loans, Chapter 35 benefits, or Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance benefits paid to the student.
B. TUITION WAIVER FOR DEPENDENTS OF OREGON FALLEN PUBLIC SERVICE PERSONNEL
LBCC will provide a tuition waiver to the qualifying spouse and children (including adoptive and step-children) of Public Safety Personnel, and National Disaster Relief and Service Personnel who die or become 100% disabled as a result of their service and who listed Oregon as their permanent residence at the time of death or determination of 100% disability. Public Safety Personnel include law enforcement and corrections officers, firefighters, and emergency responders. National Disaster Relief and Service Personnel include members of the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps/VISTA, American Red Cross, FEMA, and other similar agencies.
Dependents of deceased or disabled public safety officer are to apply for the State of Oregon grant program. The college’s waiver will cover any remaining tuition after this and other federal and state funds, excluding loans, have been applied.
The tuition waiver follows the same eligibility requirements as for dependents of military personnel. Individuals applying for this waiver must file a FAFSA. The waiver will be applied to tuition not covered after grants and scholarships.
DATE OF ADOPTION: 02/21/07
DATE(S) OF REVISION(S): 09/17/08; 06/17/09; 02/16/11; 07/09/14; 10/17/18
DATE OF LAST REVIEW: 07/09/14