- Board Policies and Administrative Rules
- 1000 Series - The College
- 2000 Series - The Board of Education
- 3000 Series - Board and President Relationship
- 4000 Series - Academic Affairs
- 5000 Series - Finance and Operations
- 6000 Series - Human Resources
- 7000 Series - Student Services
- 8000 Series - College Advancement
BOARD POLICY SERIES NUMBER: 7030
TITLE: STUDENT CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE
The Board of Education, and the staff and faculty of Linn-Benton Community College are committed to protecting the rights of our students, and fostering an environment in which freedom to explore and express ideas is honored and valued. We are also committed to holding our students to behavioral expectations that align with the college’s values, so that our community engages in safe, healthy learning together. The purpose of this policy establishes these ongoing commitments as vital to our educational goals.
Linn-Benton Community College resolves to provide an atmosphere in which students can openly engage in the critical thinking skills needed to pursue learning and truth, without fear of external pressure. This includes
- the right to freedom of expression and to defend personal views or beliefs;
- the right to freedom of association;
- the right to freedom of inquiry and opportunity to question and to differ, without authoritative repression and without scholastic penalization by the faculty or the college;
- the right to freedom from all forms of harassment and unlawful discrimination;
- the right to due process;
- the right to freedom to participate in institutional decision-making, and;
- the right to freedom to produce student publications.
In addition to having the personal right to freedom of expression, students are also responsible for acknowledging that same freedom in others, and honoring the diversity of perspectives within our community. As such, students are expected to behave, individually and collectively, in a manner that allows all members of Linn-Benton Community College the opportunity to exercise their freedoms in pursuit of learning.
It is the student’s responsibility to learn and meet the behavioral expectations of the college as outlined in the Students’ Rights and Responsibilities Guide, and a student’s application for admission or course registration at Linn-Benton Community College serves as acceptance of these expectations. This publication is made readily available to students, faculty and staff. The college will regularly review its student expectations, procedures, and sanctions to ensure they are legally sound, clear, and contribute to student learning and success. This review will include the perspective of students, faculty, and staff.
When necessary, students will be held accountable to LBCC’s behavioral expectations through a fair, clear and educationally focused student-conduct process. This student-conduct process aims to guide students in understanding why meeting behavioral expectations is important to a safe, healthy campus community so that they can make necessary adjustments. In so doing, students may exercise their freedoms and responsibilities identified above in a manner that promotes a healthy exchange of perspectives across the college.
DATE OF ADOPTION: 05/12/83
DATE(S) OF REVISION(S): 07/21/93; 06/08/2014; 6/20/18
DATE OF LAST REVIEW: 06/08/2014; 6/20/18