BOARD POLICY SERIES NUMBER: 2060
TITLE: BUDGET COMMITTEE
To assure that the college’s budget supports the delivery of post-secondary educational opportunities that meet the needs of the District and of the communities included therein. The Budget Committee, comprised of the Board of Education and their seven appointed citizen members, provides broad citizen representation of these needs and an assurance of fiscal integrity and prudent investment of the college’s fiscal resources to this end.
- The authority of the Budget Committee comes from ORS 294.414 along with budget provisions and procedures that must be followed during the budgeting process.
- Citizen members are appointed by a vote of the Board in keeping with the provisions of ORS 294.414.
- Each Board member is responsible for nominating one (1) citizen member to participate on the Budget Committee. The nominated members must be electors of the LBCC District, but need not be limited to a particular Board zone. Specifically, nominees must be qualified voters of the LBCC District who have the right to vote on the adoption of any measure. Citizen members cannot be employees, officers, or agents of the college.
- Board members should strive to nominate citizen members who represent the full breadth of elector perspectives within the District.
- Citizen members may be removed for cause at the discretion of the Board of Education.
- The Board shall make appointment to fill vacancies as they occur. Such appointments shall be for the duration of the unexpired term of that position.
- The Budget Committee shall, at its first meeting every year, select a chair from among its citizen members. The chair shall preside at that and all remaining Budget Committee meetings for that budget year.
- The Budget Committee shall, at its first meeting every year, select a vice chair from among all its members. The vice chair shall preside in the place of the chair, as necessary.
- The agenda for the first Budget Committee meeting of the year shall be approved by the chair of the Board of Education with the assistance of the president or his/her designee. Agendas for subsequent meetings shall be approved by the chair of the Budget Committee and the president or his/her designee.
- The Budget Committee shall be independently and solely responsible to define any other elements of the committee’s operational structure and individual roles for the members therein.
- Budget Committee members shall have reasonable access to directly pertinent institutional data in order to have confidence in their readiness to participate fully in discussions and actions concerning the budget. Such access shall be provided within reasonable time lines upon request to the college’s vice president of finance and operations or their assigned designee.
- Board discussions and decisions related to fiscal management occur throughout the year at regular monthly meetings, and are posted publicly, in advance. Therefore, the citizen members shall have advance notice of discussions and actions of significance, so that they may choose to be in attendance at these meetings and to read all supporting documents.
- The citizen members, with the elected Board members, acting as the Budget Committee, review and may recommend revisions to the proposed budget before it is formally approved.
- The Budget Committee shall act as a body. As such, no individual possesses individual decision-making authority relative to the budget.
- After the Budget Committee approves the budget, the college shall publish a summary of the budget and hold a public hearing at which any person may appear for or against any item in the budget. These requirements encourage public participation in budget making. They also give public exposure to budgeted programs and fiscal policies before the Board adopts the budget.
DATE OF ADOPTION: 03/21/12
DATE(S) OF REVISION(S): 04/17/13; 9/18/19
DATE OF LAST REVIEW: 04/17/13; 10/21/15