Step 2: Our Partnership with You
Our goal is to help students become more confident, effective, and expressive writers – and to make the writing process more joyful.
What Writing Assistants Bring to Our Partnership:
- Writing assistants are available to help you with any class in which writing is assigned and at any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming to a final draft. We also assist students with non-academic writing like scholarship essays, resumes, and creative writing.
- We work together in a collaborative way, taking direction from your needs, questions, and concerns.
- Thank you for trusting us with your thoughts and experiences. We continuously learn from you – and enjoy our creative work together.
What Writing Assistants Cannot Provide:
- Though we answer questions about grammar and punctuation, we cannot guarantee an errorless paper.
- Since we serve students in any class in which writing is assigned, writing assistants cannot be content specialists. Students are responsible for the content of the course; writing assistants can help you understand the assignment and provide valuable feedback on your writing.
- Some teachers give extra credit for using the Writing Center. Writing assistants are happy to stamp your paper, but they must have a writing session with you to stamp it. A typical writing session takes at least 20 minutes.
- Students cannot drop off a paper to be edited and picked up later. Our work always takes place in a collaborative writing session.
- Writing assistants cannot make assessments about what kind of grade a paper might receive from an instructor. Evaluation standards and grades remain the responsibility of the instructor.
What Students Bring to Our Partnership:
- Please sign in every time you use the Writing Center; the number of students we work with directly impacts our services to you.
- Please bring your patience. During peak periods, the writing assistants will do their best to help you as soon as possible. We promise to give you the same quality of attention when it is time for your session.
- Whether you drop in or make an appointment, it is helpful to bring your assignment; when using OWL, it is also important to provide information about the assignment and to make clear the focus of the feedback you need.
- Identify a goal for the session, if you have one. We will ask what your questions are and how we can best help you.