Reading provides one of the easiest ways to improve your writing. Reading asks you to look at the world in new ways. Reading also exposes you to different writing styles, helps you absorb new vocabulary, and stimulates your imagination.
For some excellent reading suggestions, the Powell’s Bookstore website has excellent lists of award-winning books from science fiction to poetry.
Here are some of the lists you might like to look through:
- The Pulitzer Prize For Poetry award winners
- The Oregon Book Award
- The Hugo Award (Science Fiction)
- The Edgar Award (Mystery)
- The National Book Award for Fiction
- The National Book Award for Nonfiction
- Newbery Awards for Children's Literature
If you have dyslexia or reading is a slow and challenging process for you, you might want to explore these free or inexpensive text-to-speech software programs:
For a Small Fee:
TextAloud (about $30)