- Step 1: Know the Tutoring Program Guidelines
- Step 2: Know your responsibilities
- Step 3: Make an Appointment!
- FAQs about Learning Center Tutoring
- Tutoring Center Mission
- Tutoring Subject Areas
- TASS (Tutor-Assisted Study Support)
- Math Angle
- Tutor Recommended Resources
- Additional LBCC Campus Resources
- Becoming a Tutor
- Tutor Training
Step 2: Know your responsibilities
Your tutor's expectations:
- You are going to class. This is a requirement to continue being tutored. Your instructor may be notified so we can get feedback on your class attendance and progress.
- Be prepared when you see your tutor. Do your homework first.
- Bring your textbook, notes, and calculator. Know what you want help with.
- Don't expect answers. Your tutor will help you understand concepts so you can get answers yourself. This is the most effective form of learning support.
- Be patient with your tutor and with yourself. Some problems are not easily solved.
Your tutor will:
- Clarify information presented in class or in your textbook.
- Help you develop effective study skills.
- Model problem-solving techniques, and then have you try them.
- Offer encouragement as you learn to understand difficult concepts.
- Model critical thinking strategies in the discipline you are studying. They will help you learn how to utilize your text, notes, and additional resources so you are able to problem-solve and find the answers on your own.
Your tutor won't:
- Do your homework!
- Give you the answers.
- Take the place of your instructor.
- Help you with take-home tests.
- 'Rescue' you if you miss classes.
- Help you during their own study time. You must have an appointment.
A Word About Learning Styles
Have you ever wondered what yours is? If you are curious, your tutor or the Tutor Coordinator can direct you to a free, on-line learning style inventory. Understanding your own personal learning style can help you use study strategies that will make it easier for you to learn. Your tutor can work with you to identify and use learning strategies that suit your particular style.
Final Step: Make an Appointment!