Tutoring is done by appointment during Learning Center open hours. Tutors earn $10.25/hour. Work Study positions may be available. Consideration for a tutor position is based on the following:
- A need for tutoring in your subject area as determined by tutor program needs and/or student request;
- Academic competency in the course(s) you wish to tutor, as demonstrated by a grade of A or B earned within the last one to two years;
- Satisfactory performance on math competency tests (math tutors);
- Recommendation of an LBCC instructor in the subject area tutored;
- Overall GPA of at least 2.5;
- Good interpersonal communication skills as demonstrated by instructor references and interview with Tutor Coordinator;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in English at a level which allows clear understanding by students; and
- Commitment to participating in tutor training to help you become a skillful and effective tutor.
Benefits of Tutoring
Being a tutor has the potential of enhancing your whole college experience, and the skills you develop will transfer well to any future career. Tutors practice good interpersonal communication, develop valuable critical thinking skills, boost their self-confidence, and improve their own academic performance by guiding other students through the learning process. To inquire about tutor positions, please stop by the Tutor Coordinator's office, WH 229.