About the WR121 Final

Information about the Winter 2014 WR 121 Final Exam is coming soon!

A Guide to Signal Phrases

Links to the readings for the WR 121 Exam are listed on the main English website.


The WR121 final exam consists of two one-hour tests on Monday at 12:00 to 12:50 p.m. and on Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. of Finals Week. You need to plan to take the WR121 Final on both days!

First Day of Test

On the first day of testing, you will be given two short excerpts (pieces of essays) to read and two questions. You will read both excerpts. Then you will choose one question to respond to. You will have 50 minutes to draft your short essay response. Your essay draft will be turned in to your instructor at the end of the first day.

Second Day of Test

On the second day of testing, you will revise, edit and proofread your essay. You may use a paper  dictionary or paper thesaurus. You will have access to the excerpts on both days of the exam. No materials may leave the exam room.

You will be tested on your ability to do the following:

  • write an effective introduction with a thesis
  • include discussion and a conclusion
  • use supporting examples, experiences, observations, details, and description 
  • use summaries and/or paraphrases from the original source material (essays) provided
  • use at least one direct quotation from the original source material (essays) provided
  • use appropriate lead-in phrases  (phrases like “according to…”)
  • use proper in-text citation in MLA, APA, or Chicago style. (You do not need to rewrite the bibliographic entry.)


Getting the Readings Ahead of Time

On Monday of Week 10, this site will post links to the full text of the essays excerpted in the final exam. This will allow you to read the essays ahead of time and look up any vocabulary words you do not know. Please note that the you will only receive a short piece of each essay in the actual final exam.

To help you prepare for the WR121 final, your instructor will schedule an in-class practice final to give you a chance to practice writing an essay in response to a question.

If you require extra time because of a learning disability please contact the Center for Accessibility Resources (the department formerly known as Disability Services).

If you cannot take the exam at the regular exam time there will be an alternate time scheduled during Week 10. Ask your instructor for details.

Grading Guidelines: 70% of your final grade will be based on completed class work. The remaining 30% of your final grade for WR121 will be based on this two-day final written exam given to all WR121 students.