Cooperative Work Experience FAQs

Q: What is the cooperative work experience program (CWE)?

A: The CWE program allows LBCC Criminal Justice majors to earn fully-transferable, lower-division criminal justice college credit for working as interns in relevant organizations.

Q: What types of organizations are "relevant?"

A: Any publicly-funded or private non-profit agency involved in law, law enforcement or corrections is eligible to host a CWE student. Some law firms and private, for-profit businesses may also qualify. Check with the Criminal Justice Department for further details.

Q: Who is eligible to participate?

A: Generally, we require students to have completed two consecutive terms of college level work performed at a "C" average level or better. Exceptions are made at the discretion of the Criminal Justice Department.

Q: Can you give me some examples of relevant agencies?

A: In the past, we have had CWE placements at Albany Police Department, Linn County Sheriff's Department, Linn County District Attorney's Office, Sweet Home Police Department, Lebanon Police Department, Linn-Benton Youth Detention Center, Hillcrest School (Salem), Benton County Sheriff's Department, Corvallis Police Department, Oregon State Police, Benton County Parole and Probation, Homelife, Inc., Philomath Police Department, Lincoln County Parole and Probation.

Q: May I receive pay for my CWE work?

A: While most CWE positions are unpaid, there is nothing to prohibit a student from receiving pay from his/her workplace.

Q: How many credit hours may I earn?

A: You may earn a maximum of 14 CWE credit hours while enrolled at LBCC. Most students limit themselves to 3-5 credits per term.

Q: How much do I have to work to earn college credit?

A: Students must work 30 hours for each credit earned. Thus, a student working ten hours per week for ten weeks would earn three credits.

Q: How do I sign up?

A: Here is the process:

  1. Make a list of agencies for which you would like to work.
  2. Telephone the agencies and identify yourself as an LBCC Criminal Justice major seeking an internship.
  3. If the agency is interested, they will invite you in for an interview.
  4. Once an agency agrees to hire you, go to the Counseling Department in Takena Hall and request a CWE packet.
  5. You will need to complete the forms in the CWE packet and obtain the signature of your agency supervisor. If you need help with the forms, see your advisor. 
  6. After obtaining your supervisor's signature, return the documents to the Criminal Justice Department chair for his/her signature. 
  7. Submit the documents to the CWE office located in the Counseling Department.
  8. Register for the CWE credits.