It is strongly recommended each student enrolling in the Automotive Technology program have:
#1 - a clean driving record,
#2 - a valid driver's license,
#3 - proof of insurance for any vehicles they may drive to LBCC.
If you can be identified as a "High Risk Driver" it may be impossible to find employment in the automotive service and repair field. LBCC students who do not have a good driving record are strongly encouraged to enroll in an educational program that will not require the operation of vehicles. Below is a typical set of hiring standards.
Identification of High Risk Drivers
Candidates may not be hired if they are identified as a High Risk Driver.
Candidates are High Risk if the MVR check indicates that the driver has:
One or more of the following violations within the last 5 years:
1. Conviction for an alcohol and/or drug related driving offense;
2. Refusal to submit to alcohol/drug testing;
3. Conviction of speeding in excess of 20 MPH;
4. Criminal conviction e.g. felony, negligent homicide, manslaughter, hit and run, etc.
Other violations incurred in the last 3 years:
1. Any combination of three or more: moving violations, At-Fault Accidents, Preventable Accidents;
2. Driving with a suspension, revocation, or administrative restriction;
3. Leaving the scene of an accident as defined by state laws;
4. Reckless driving.
Other violations incurred in the last 12 months:
1. Any combination of two or more: moving violations, At-Fault Accidents, Preventable Accidents.
Any person hired must submit the following materials before a conditional offer of employment is made:
1. A copy of a current driver's license;
2. A copy of a current five-year (or lifetime) Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) From DMV;
3. A copy of proof of automobile insurance and current registration
The above regulations are for example only.
Specific definitions of a "High Risk" driver depend upon the Liability Insurance Policy for any potential employer.
This information is provided to prevent you from investing your educational budget towards a career that you will be unable to pursue.