Phlebotomy is the practice of drawing blood from patients so that it can be analyzed by hospital/lab clinics. To be successful, a student should have the ability to work around blood, enjoy working in hospital or clinical settings, and have an interest in science and biology.
Students who successfully complete a certificate in Phlebotomy will:
- Perform a venipuncture with proper technique using a vacutainer.
- Perform a venipuncture with proper technique using a syringe.
- Perform a finger stick with proper technique.
- Perform a heel stick with proper technique.
- Communicate effectively with patient, healthcare staff, and other medical providers.
For more information on this career, as well as the current employment outlook, visit the U.S. Department of Labor and Oregon Employment Department websites.