What Kind Of Documentation?

What Kind of Documentation?

Acceptable sources of documentation for proving a student’s disability can take a variety of forms. The Center for Accessibility Resources recognizes that students play a vital role in knowing how the disability impacts them and are a source in determining how it limits them in their lives and education. 

  • Students who self-report having a disability can often identify how it is currently impacting them in classes and on campus.
  • Disability documentation should be current and/or applicable, identifying any mitigating effects, but may not necessarily recent. 
  • Historical information and the student’s self-report may be enough to describe how the condition impacts the student’s learning. 

This is determined on an individual basis.  No blanket statement will be made.

Diagnosing Professional - Your documentation should come from a qualified professional. This could be a medical doctor, a licensed therapist, an educational diagnostician, a psychologist or psychiatrist.  

Mitigating Effects - At college, this means a condition that impacts the ability to listen, comprehend, talk, speak, see, read, write, and/or participate in classes.

Note - If you are coming from a high school, your IEP or 504 Plan may not be accepted solely as documentation of your disability.  If submitted to show history, the IEP must be complete and include any testing to determine the need for the plan.  These plans can provide helpful information regarding accommodations you have used in the past.

Release of Documentation (ROD) - A Release of Documentation (ROD) form can be sent to Diagnosing Professionals or Educational Facilites to request documentation be sent directly to our office.  The student needs to fill out and sign the form, and deliver it to their health care professional or school.  We are happy to fax completed forms for you from our office.  RODs can be found outside our office in RCH105 or can be emailed upon request.  

The Center for Accessibility Resources welcomes questions and recommends students contact the office directly if unsure about the documentation guidelines or if they do not have access to getting the supporting documentation.  If you have questions about your documentation contact our office at 541-917-4789. 

Documents may be faxed to 541-917-4328; or mail to:
6500 Pacific Blvd SW, Albany, OR 97321; or email them to:
cfar@linnbenton.edu; or drop off at:
RCH-105; or scan and upload along with the Online Application