Please join us for the 2016 Linn-Benton Community College commencement to celebrate your Accomplishment in earning the General Educational Development (GED®) certificate.
GED® graduates have two ceremonies which they may attend. (Details below.) We must know if you plan to participate in one or both ceremonies and if so, how many guests you expect. If you plan to attend, please call the GED® office at 541-917-4712 or 541-917-4710 or email us at GED@linnbenton.edu.
When and Where
• Both ceremonies will take place Thursday, June 9th at the Linn County Fair and Expo Center at 3700 Knox Butte Rd. NE, Albany, Oregon.
• The first ceremony is for GED® graduates and ESOL achievers only. It begins at 5:00 PM in Conference Room 1 of the Willamette Event Center. If attending this ceremony, you and your guests will need to arrive by 4:45 PM at the latest. Once you enter the Willamette Event Center, signs will direct you to the room.
• The second ceremony is for all LBCC graduates. It begins at 7:00 PM in the Exhibit Hall of the Willamette Event Center. If attending only this ceremony, you and your guests will need to arrive at Conference Room 1 (where the first ceremony takes place) by 6:45 PM at the latest.
- You must pick up a cap and gown at the LBCC Albany campus in the days before the ceremonies. These items will be loaned to you at no cost. Contact Barb Horn at 541-917-4459 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time. You will receive a tassel at the ceremony which you may keep. If you are eligible to wear an honor cord, this will be provided for you at the ceremony and must be returned.
- If you are leaving after the first ceremony, your cap and gown must be returned to Linda Hobson in Conference Room 1. Otherwise the items must be returned at a drop-off station in the Santiam Building (where the reception is held after the second ceremony).
- For each ceremony you choose to attend, you must remain until it is completed. The first ceremony lasts approximately 60 to 90 minutes, and the second ceremony lasts approximately two hours.
- A reception for graduates and guests will follow the second ceremony in the Santiam Building.
- Do not bring anything that you do not wish to carry throughout the entire ceremony (for example, coats and purses). There is no place to store these items.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You will be standing for a while before the ceremony.
- If you will be attending the second ceremony, you may have your photo included in a slide show that will be shown before it begins. From www.linnbenton.edu, click on “Current Students,” “Schedule and Learn,” “Graduation,” then “Sign up for Commencement Spring 2015”. Upload your photo by Friday, May 29. This is only necessary if you wish to include a photo.
- Your name will not be printed in the commencement program or newspaper if you requested confidentiality when you registered for GED® classes or if you completed your GED® too late for your name to be printed in the program. However, the commencement ceremony is broadcast on TV and recorded for DVD archiving and sales. All participants will be filmed.
- Persons having questions about or requests for special needs and accommodations should contact the Disability Coordinator at Linn-Benton Community College, RCH-105, 6500 Pacific Blvd. SW, Albany, Oregon 97321, Phone 541-917-4789 or via Oregon Telecommunications Relay TTD at 1-800-735-2900 or 1-800-735-1232. Contact should be made 72 hours or more in advance of the event.